Friday 23 March 2018

Sport Relief

Today is sport relief day which means my kids had to choose a sporting hero to go to school as. 
Now being 6 & 8 and not having an overly sport loving family means they don't know any sports people never mind sports hero's.
Both girls have opted to go to school today as me. This is an interesting decision as I'm not a glowing example of sporting prowess. Well I'm not these days. But once upon a time...

Once upon a time I loved sport.

When I was a kid I would spend my weekends and holidays riding my bike, my skates, playing football, cricket or generally running around the countryside.
I found an intrigue for cricket at a very young age and a love for it as soon as I was old enough to play.



When I started secondary school I was already playing cricket for the Kent juniors.
I think I played 4 seasons for them, I am still very proud to be able to say I played for my county.
In those years I showed lots of promise in training and was excellent in the nets, sadly I never managed to transfer my skills to matches! I think I would have made a great coach.
However two of the other girls I played with through those years went onto have brilliant cricketing careers playing for England and taking them to many victories!



Through my secondary school years I played football, cricket and somewhat reluctantly hockey for the school teams. I found enjoyment in basketball and absolutely loved badminton.
You are probably expecting me to say that my ME made me give up on sport, but actually that isn't the case. Being a teenager made me give up on sport. Discovering a social life, getting a moped and finding life outside of the village. Who knows if I would have gone back to it had I not then fallen ill at 16.

I like to think I would.

As an adult I look back with fond memories as well as sadness that I no longer do any of these sports. It seems rather hard to do sports as an unfit adult. You can go so many things solo, go to the gym, do fitness classes, run and there are various teams for the dedicated, but I'm yet to find anything casual I could pop in and out of when my health allows.





No comments:

Post a Comment