Monday 24 November 2014

Be the change you want to see in the world

This quote means so much. It is so true.
Everyone complains about the world today, about how people don't have the respect for each other that there used to be, about how everyone is looking out for themselves and not others. Yet at the same time a lot of the people complaining don't go out there and try to change things.

Granted one person can't change the world, but one person can show others how to change which in turn could change the world.

If you go out there today and smile at people, say nice things to them, donate something to a food bank, do a good deed, I guarantee you will feel good and you will have made others feel good. And perhaps just maybe the other people touched on your journey will also go out of their way to make a difference.

There are so many small, simple ways you can change the way you live which will help so many people. Being kind doesn't have to cost anything.

Being ill has made me realise just how lucky I am to be alive, to have a warm safe home for my family, to be able to get out of bed everyday and to know that I can feed my family.

I am a firm believer in random acts of kindness. I have been researching ideas of things to do with my kids through advent, 1 random act of kindness for each day to try to teach my children that giving isn't all about presents and that it can be just as rewarding as receiving. I don't think my 3 year old will understand, but I think it is a valuable lesson for my 5 year old and I hope to turn it into a yearly tradition.

All through this year I have sent out random parcels to people, all with the intention of raising a smile, some items needed, all were appreciated. I have more in the pipeline and hope that these too will be received with a smile.

Could you smile at someome today? Compliment them? Lend a shoulder if they look in need? Could you donate something to a food bank (they are even appealing for presents if you have anything you could re-gift)? Could you donate some old bits and bobs to a charity shop instead of putting them on eBay? Could you volunteer some time to help a neighbour?

So think about it, what could you do today that could change someone else's day or even life?

No comments:

Post a Comment