Friday 23 January 2015

Being an M.E. mum in a busy world.

Life for kids today can be so busy. School, after school clubs, dancing, sports, rainbows, swimming, parties. There seems to be an endless stream of activities that all the kids in my child's class are doing, but not mine.

I have M.E. because of this just getting my kids to and from school 5 days a week at the normal times is a challenge.

I have never sent my girls to dance classes or after school club, and never even considered any of the other options. Simply because I can't commit to being able to get them there and back every week.
I don't drive, I ride an electric tricycle, which has it's limits for distance, but also I would not want to ride it in the dark which in these winter months rules out anything after school.

It breaks my heart when my eldest receives a party invitation for a school night party as I always have to say no. When the invite comes in we talk about it together and I explain why she can't go, then often it is forgotten until the day, when she comes running out of school so excited saying; "Mum it's so and so's party today am I going" and I have to say no all over again.

My eldest is 5 and personally I feel like she gets enough from school. She is generally exhausted after a day at school and I wouldn't dream of sending her out to do additional courses. But because it's what everyone else does it makes me feel like I'm letting her down.

At home my kids watch a lot of tv. I wish they didn't, I wish I could be more active with them and initiate play, but I can't and I often find tv is the only way to instil order. Though it also makes them feel like they have a right to watch it all the time, which is a battle!

At the end of each weekend I often wonder if we have done enough. Other children go back to school Monday with exciting tales of outings, clubs, experiences. I often wonder what mine go back saying... I had a wonderful weekend, I helped to dust the house, washed daddy's car and watched Chitty chitty bang bang for the millionth time...
We do go out occasionally on the weekend, but usually only out of necessity, a trip to the shops or the library.

When school holidays come around I try to have a certain number of activities planned, often art and craft ones. If I enter the holidays with no plans then by the end of the first day both me and the children are tearing our hair out! There has to be a plan, no matter how basic. Sometimes these plans to awry. They can get through every activity planned for the day by 9am, or not show any interest in what I thought was a great idea.

But when you have M.E. Sometimes it doesn't matter how good the plan is, you just can't do it.

Anyway, I'm not entirely sure what I was trying to achieve with this post, other than pointing out the guilt I feel as a parent. Though I do know I should not feel guilty, I do my best for my kids and that is all they need.

No comments:

Post a Comment