Friday 27 June 2014

Social media

Everyone has a different reason for wanting to or not wanting to use social media.

I have friends who don't use any of it, some who will only use Twitter and others who only use Facebook.

Personally I use both but for different things.
I have most of my friends and family on Facebook and love that it means I can stay in touch with everyone, share photos of my kids and activities, share ideas, ask questions, and generally keep up with the world even when I am not well enough to join it!

On twitter I have a couple of friends (ones who won't use Facebook), but mostly I use twitter to connect with people I don't know, other #spoonies, like minded people from all over the world. I'm still learning how it works, but I kind of like it.

I have heard said that Facebook is where you learn to hate your friends and Twitter is where you learn to love strangers. I can see the truth in that. Facebook can be irritating with all the horoscopes and chain mail, but I like that you can choose exactly who see's what you are posting, whereas on Twitter anyone can see everything you post. But on the other hand I like how anonymous you can be on twitter, you are just a voice talking to the world in general, rather than just your 'friends'.

The world of social media is there to 'keep you connected', yet it can be the loneliest of places. If you are having an off day or feeling down you go to these places for a pick me up, but all you see is hundreds of people enjoying life, doing things you wish you were doing. Often the day you really need someone to comment on that seemingly flippant post you just made, is the day that no one is paying attention.

For now I am addicted. I am trying hard to cut back on the time I spend on social media as it will always be there, but my kids will grow up. I don't want them to look back at their childhood and see me glued to an electronic device reading pointless nonsense all day long.

There is more to life than the internet.




No comments:

Post a Comment