Thursday 19 June 2014

Theatre and me

In my first year at secondary school I accidentally put myself forward to help out with props on the schools Christmas production. I had meant to offer to help paint scenery, but being little and shy I got my words muddled up and ended up helping with the props. Possibly the best mistake I ever made.
I loved it!

I worked technically on every production possible at that school.
When it came to choosing options for GCSE I chose P.E without thinking too much about it, I had always loved sports. I was turned down. 
My drama teacher then casually suggested I take drama GCSE instead, this had never crossed my mind as an option, I hated drama, still one of my least favourite things is having to stand up in front of people and be noticed! But he told me I could do Stage management as my drama GCSE. I would still have to participate in the practical lessons but my marks would be on my technical work. - I still have a great deal of respect for Mr Evans. I think everyone has one teacher who change's the course of their life and he is mine.
Of course I still had to act, and I even had to perform in a small production due to a classmate not turning up, but it did me no harm, in fact it helped to give me the little bit of confidence I have now.

By the time I left school in 2001 I was certain all I wanted to do was have a career in technical theatre. I started a course at college and was on my way. Unfortunately less than 2 months into this course is when I fell ill with M.E. Completing the course became an impossibility. 
My tutor at the college was adamant I could not work in theatre without qualifications. 

I think one of the things that helped to pull me through my M.E. was the thought that I really did want to work in technical theatre, and that I wanted to prove my tutor wrong.

Of course I had to get myself well first. Once I was well enough I started building up my ability to work. I began with a couple of hours a week in a charity shop sorting donations - a fascinating job, which I did for maybe a year. Then moved onto bar work, starting at just 8 hours a week, then building up to 40+ over the course of 2 years. That's when I knew it was time to pursue my dream again.

In 2005 I was given a fantastic opportunity to work as a casual technician at the Hazlitt Theatre Maidstone. I helped on a couple of shows, then did the panto with them that year as assistant stage manager & sound #2, an experience I will never forget! A 90 hour week followed by 4 60hour weeks, a job not for the faint hearted, but I survived!

I continued to work there through 2006 as a casual technician, bar staff and general all rounder. Then a friend of mine offered to put in a good word for me at the larger local theatre the Marlowe in Canterbury. I sent off my CV, and in March that year got a phone call from the Chief Electrician at the venue offering me a couple of weeks work follow spotting the Easter show. I loved every minute of those 2 weeks, the team were friendly, the job was great. I was very sad when the 2 weeks were over. 

At this point perhaps I should note that I went on to marry the Chief Electrican (Ben) from that theatre!  

When a permanent position arose at a smaller venue in Canterbury in the September of that year Ben talked me into applying. I got the job! I proved my tutor wrong. A full time job as a technician in a local theatre with no qualifications. I enjoyed it there, though I didn't get on that well with my team. I left in May of 2007 returning to the Marlowe to work as a casual technician, box office assistant, and bar staff. Turns out I quite enjoyed having lots of little jobs. I worked my last panto as a follow spot operator while pregnant with my eldest - quite an experience. 

I can't see me ever working in a theatre again, especially now I have kids, and after my recent relapse. But I am very glad I got to do it when I did. Lots of happy memories.


No comments:

Post a Comment